this weekend's essay: shout out your siblings
for those of you who don't pay close attention, i'm the eldest of four. and i give my youngest sis, janelle mad love on my blog e'ry now and then. sunday (july 31) is janelle's 21st birthday (hence the destiny's child musical selection), so in honor of that, this weekend's essay has to do with siblings. do you have any? how many? why do you love/loathe them? etc. etc...
anyway, i'm gonna go ahead and present to you 21 reasons why i love my (lil) sis:
- janelle is a fucking superstar, and she will not let you forget it.
- regarding number 1, janelle will say some shit to you, or have you do some shit for her that is so surreptitiously 'diva' it'll be a minute before you realize she played you for her personal assistant.
- janelle is, undoubtedly, the funniest person i know.
- she's prolly the only person i could drink coffee (that tasted like hot chocolate) with, watch drumline and kissing jessica stein over and over, and then openly wonder why the hell we were still awake.
- she calls me when i'm on some bullshit.
- when she was a kid, she thought i was cool, even though all evidence pointed to the opposite.
- she can dis me so hard that my only response is silence. who else can consistently do that?
- the kid's got guts. she's not afraid to try and fail.
- she wrote the book on pimpology. everyone she's ever dated is still in love with her. and, she told her current b/f that he was gonna like her--and he did.
- unlike her older sister, she was generally quite the pleasant and talkative child.
- even though i give her shit about her musical taste (dc3, m. carey, etc.) she's just like 'fuck you. listen to this.' and i'll listen. that's dope.
- jneezy has an 'it's all about me' swerve going. somehow, she's able to convince a lot of people that it is all about her.
- CONFIDENCE. if you ever meet janelle, do this: say, 'janelle, you look really nice today.' and janelle will respond, 'i know.'
- whether it's going to the grocery store or taking out the trash, janelle will make that shit fun.
- HONESTY. if i run some shit i been thinking about by janelle, she'll be like, 'that's stupid, and i can't believe you just told me that.' i appreciate her frankness.
- IT'S NOT JUST HYPE. you know how you can talk about a mofo to folks, and when they meet them they're all disappointed and junk? well, janelle lives up to the hype. most folks think when i'm talking about j i'm being all hyperbolic, but when they meet her, they're like, your description of her was completely understated.
- what janelle wants, janelle gets. i've no clue how she does this time and time again.
- she's a jill of all trades: she dances, she sings, does imitations, plays (college) volleyball...
- OPTIMISM. though i claim it annoys the fuck outta me, janelle's optimism and sunshine-like demeanor are more pleasant than i care to admit. (in fact, i will deny even thinking such thoughts in about 30 seconds.)
- she makes me feel like i was a decent big sister.
- she loves me no matter what.
have a great weekend.
language alone protects us from the scariness of things with no names. language alone is meditation. ~toni morrison