Friday, April 22, 2005

this weekend's essay: can you really tell a lot about a person by they shoes? (where they goin'? where they been?)


tuesday, i had on dirty (in my estimation) pumas, and i felt really bad about it. the whole day i was in a bad mood. interestingly, the night before, nahmix and i were having an i.m. conversation about shoes and whether or not one could assess a person by them. nahmix (who, i might suggest, has a very nice shoe collection herself) said not really, and i said i think maybe so. i, for example, pay a lot of attention to a person's shoes. in fact, for just about e'rybody in my life, i can recall what shoes they had on the day i met them (though nahmix and i disagree about what shoes she had on). i've even heard of people really looking at a person's shoes to get an idea about the person. i don't, however, know what a person's shoes say about him/her.

so...for this weekend, the assignment is: what, if anything, do a person's shoes say about him/her? do you pay attention to shoes? why or why not?

as always: 4-6 pages, double-spaced, times new roman font.

due: monday, april 25, 2005.


language alone protects us from the scariness of things with no names. language alone is meditation. ~toni morrison

7 Comments:

Blogger courtney said...

nice blog ya got here... :)

22/4/05 10:34  
Blogger summer of sam said...

@courtney: thanx for checking my blog out.

@stephanie: this might be a hard one...but for some reason, i believe you had on either black (or dark navy blue) pumps. not too high, though. no more than 2 inches, maybe just one. i do recall that you often crossed your legs at the ankle. right?

i must have a helluva ego. i don't have several hundred pairs of shoes, but lord knows if i had the money i would.

22/4/05 13:49  
Blogger summer of sam said...

@rrrrrrachel: lisa nading ain't no joke. you might wanna try ebay or half.com to get them jokers on discount. btw, the first say we met, you had on your red pumas (the ones that are the center of the sad story about the guy who fetched them out of the lake for you, right?). just in case you wondered.

22/4/05 15:02  
Blogger nahmix said...

well, i still think at best, you can tell a person's taste based on shoes. anything else, i need proof!

also, i was wearing red open-toed nine west cloud sandals. remind me to show them to you the next time you're over. maybe that will help you remember!

22/4/05 16:58  
Blogger nahmix said...

oh...and thanx again for the compliment on the shoe collection. i'm always surprised because i don't spend a lot of money on shoes and my taste in them is kinda of Gwen Stefanie meets Jackie O!

22/4/05 17:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A shoe is not just a cover for the foot, I disagree. It is, at the very least, an indication of a person's taste or sense of aesthetics. It can also signify his or her financial situation, level of materialism, or even allegiance to a certain subculture. And you can usually tell if you're dealing with a person who values comfort over appearance or vice-versa, is comfortable with his or her height, or is casual or formal in his or her approach to life. Shoes are, like, signifiers of the sole.

For example, I only wears three-to-four inch heels unless I'm wearing sandals or flip-flops, of which I have approximately 20 pairs. W-T-F does that say about me? I have a fucking Napoleon complex, I'm lightweight hung up on appearing "sophisticated," I'm a bit of a compulsive shoe shopper, and I think that my fucking feet are cute.

See, the shit is a science.

25/4/05 04:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you can tell a lot about a person by the shoes they wear, for instance..my girlfriend only wear high heels...boots, shoes, etc. She has always had a problem with her height, she is only 5' tall. Me, I don't care about shoes that much...I wear whatever sort of matches what I have on and if I have far to walk. If I have a long way to walk, I don't care if my shoes matches my outfit because I want to be comfortable. I believe that it does make an individual vain for caring so much about what's on someone elses feet. That's just my opinion.

25/4/05 23:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home