Wednesday, August 24, 2005

health update, or, i have nothing else to blog about



right. so since i don't have anything to blog about today, i thought i'd take the time to give a health update. though i'm doing this, i do not assume any of you care. just consider this a narcissistic effort to let folks in the blogosphere know that though summer m. blogstar is always healthy, sometimes the body she inhabits starts to bug out a bit. but anyway....

the cough: i don't think i've blogged about this, but for the last month or so, i've had this cough that just won't stop. initially, i thought it was allergies, but even after taking allergy medicine the cough persisted. so i switched to cough syrup, and it just got worse. since the whole thing started right when german did, i thought the cough was just psychosomatic, especially since as my exam got closer, things got worse.

anyway, after the storm that was german (still 1 more class left, but the worst of it is over), i figured a weekend of nothing but rest along with a combination of sudafed to relieve the 'i just got punched in my nose' feeling, and alka-seltzer cold and cough to relieve the 'it's the middle of the night and i think i'm gonna vomit feeling', would take care of it. when it didn't, i went ahead and hit up the student health clinic since the university was kind enough to pay the summer fee.

the nice folks at the health clinic have decided that the reason why i sound like i'm a 3-pack a day smoker (i couldn't even speak a complete sentence without having a coughing fit) is because i'm having an asthmatic reaction to some allergen. as a result, i'm wheezing and my lungs are like 'hell to the naw'. so along with having a nebulizer treatment at the clinic, i am now on two inhalers for the next few weeks. though i've used more tissue in the last two days than i have in my entire life, things seem to be getting better.

the knee: so yeah. e'rybody knows i fucked up my knee trying to relive my days as a benchwarmer for my high skool basketball team. it's been about a little over a month since the incident, but swelling is pretty much gone. i still have to rock a brace, but my walking is pretty much back to normal. (anyone who has seen me walk knows that i have a very odd, boyish gate. what can i say? i walk like my daddy. always have. always will.)

despite that progress, i still have some discomfort and pain on both the inside and outside of my knee. this pain, along with my whole asthmatic wheezing issues have therefore precluded a nig from rehabbing the knee. consequently, if i'm not awake in the middle of the night because of wheezing, i'm tossing in my bed trying to get to some sleep. anyway, i suppose i'm gonna have to put those student health fee dollars to work yet again.

unless, of course, any of you know anything about rehabbing a sprained knee and/or if the pain i'm feeling is normal?

i apologize for the blandness of this entry.

sm.


language alone protects us from the scariness of things with no names. language alone is meditation. ~toni morrison

26 Comments:

Blogger summer of sam said...

@a: thanx.

@mwilli: lol. i prolly do look a hot mess. though it's a sweet offer, no need to leave your hubby. i have a few friends who've been checking on my introverted homebody ass (shout out rrrrachel, deshi, and new chi-town transplant, toya) consistently. they told my ass to go to the doctor waaaay before i decided to go. i think they got pretty sick of listening to me cough up a lung. and...if this is what smokers go through, that is yet another reason for me to never pick up a cigarette.

24/8/05 23:12  
Blogger Harold Gibson said...

sooner or later you will get better. hang on in there.

24/8/05 23:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your accounts of events is hilarious. how you hurt yourself reliving your days as a bench warmer? bench warming must have gotten a lot more dangerous since when i never got called into the game.

24/8/05 23:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice, comfy place you got here :)..

25/8/05 04:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

25/8/05 05:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

25/8/05 05:22  
Blogger RoRicka said...

when i blew out my knee the discomfort was awful for the weeks before i actually went to a doctor about it, so i feel your pain. rehab on it will probably be dependent on how exactly it became injured, when exactly you began feeling pain, and the type of pain you're experiencing now.

i work in a building full of doctors. if you email me some more details i can ask around and see if they say something that may help.

25/8/05 09:52  
Blogger Jdid said...

try and take care of yourself

25/8/05 09:54  
Blogger deshi said...

aww summer... i hope you're feeling better. hang in there. and yeah i got sick of hearing you cough after every two words... ;)

25/8/05 18:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, being sick is no fun-hope you feel better!

And smoking ain't kewl, summer. and i peeped your pictures and you are too cute to be smoking...quit while you're young...mmmkay?

27/8/05 12:11  
Blogger summer of sam said...

@kilimanjaro: i've never smoked a cigarette in my life. i was just trying to say that i sound like a smoker when i cough. oh, and, thanx for calling me cute. *smiles from ear to ear*

27/8/05 12:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are doing better today!! Chicken soup baby!! No matter what anyone says chicken soup and chamomile tea helps me everytime!! Not just for colds, but allergies too!!

You need a nice peppermint massage oil rub down after you come out of a hot shower or bath, that helps sometimes to or at least it will get you some!! hahahaha!!

Take care sweets!!

Blu

28/8/05 20:08  
Blogger summer of sam said...

@blu: why you be fucking with me?

28/8/05 23:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not baby, I just want to make sure you all set!!! *wink*

Blu

29/8/05 22:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn...

Hope you're feeling better.

30/8/05 03:21  
Blogger summer of sam said...

@blu: i quote, 'You need a nice peppermint massage oil rub down after you come out of a hot shower or bath, that helps sometimes to or at least it will get you some!! hahahaha!!'

given how many months it's been since i got down, i think that's fucking w/ me. 'specially since you're all the way in rhode island, and haven't volunteered to come to the chi to rub me down.

30/8/05 10:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been trying to get to St. Louis for the past 2 months and when I get a tentative date I will for sure let you know when I can take a drive to Chicago to give you that rub down. Hopefully by then you will be all better and that rub down won't be for medicinal purposes!!!

Take care sweets!!

Blu

30/8/05 21:02  
Blogger summer of sam said...

@blu: see. there you go again fucking with me.

i am convinced you're either a) an ex who has become very clever in disguising herself. b) a man. c) my sister fucking with me b/c she knows i'm desperate. d) a woman who was voted best face for radio during her senior year in high skool.

but just in case you're not...

i just wanna let you know that despite the rumors, i am not some white chick. that's really me in the pictures. though i'm super shy in person, apparently my personality isn't too far off from my blogging persona.

my bed is rumored to be very comfortable.

30/8/05 22:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not an ex, or a family member and in high school I actually dated a lot of the football players and no I wasn't or will I ever be a cheerleader. At the time I was just trying to figure out who I was. I was not voted for anything in high school, but I did run for student council president and as far as a face for radio, none of my gf's ever told me I was anything but cute. I am not a vain person and I don't have a photo to send although I wish I did, but I will try my best to do just that for you. I am average I guess. I think what facinates me is your mind, it is absolutely brilliant. I am absolutely infactuated with it and I am not a stalker, I just love the things you post and you are cute to boot.

Take care sweets!!

Blu

31/8/05 19:43  
Blogger summer of sam said...

@blu: well, if you can cook (or order delivery well), and are willing to nurture the artist in me, all i have to say is:

will you marry me?

(you know, like in a civil union/register as a domestic couple kind of way)

btw, you don't have to send me a picture. i was just playing.

and, uh, who told you i was a whore for compliments? i'm blushing. in fact, i will prolly read your latest comment like once a day now.

(you're not one of the personality chix are you?)

31/8/05 20:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't really cook, but I can damn near burn anything (literally), but I try. I am not a personality chix either. I am from Providence,RI and I come from Ohio, I may be a little bit too old for you I am 31 years old and I work in the alarm industry. I lived in St. Louis for 9 years before transferring her to Providence. I do miss the Lou and I have been to a few Cubs games in Chicago and still love the Cubs inspite of EVERYTHING. Every day I get a free few minutes I run to my computer to see what brilliant story you wrot that day and it makes me laugh or think and I love it!!!! You are special and any girl that don't see that needs examining!! As far as getting hitched...been there done that and it only lasted 8 years, I did wish for forever but shit happens. We are still good friends and hope to remain that way. I love to listen and get a feel for what a woman is thinking and feeling and you are cool Summer, I can tell that!! Stay that way!!!

Take care sweets!!

Blu

31/8/05 22:15  
Blogger summer of sam said...

@blu: are you kidding?!?!? i find something attractive about women in their 30s--the mature ones, that is.

and, you know, you don't have to marry me.

we could just play house.

1/9/05 09:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are soo cute and I just want to hug you and squeeze you and call you george!!! My nieces use to say that to me all the time and it was cute and I just had to type it to you because you are amazingly adorable, by the way I love the new picture.

Take care sweets!!!!

Blu

4/9/05 19:25  
Blogger summer of sam said...

@blu: touch me tease me. if you're fly enough, you can do whatever you want. i won't care.

5/9/05 00:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I just might take you up on that!!! Yeah baby!!!

6/9/05 20:43  
Blogger summer of sam said...

that fly, hunh?

7/9/05 00:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home