Tuesday, October 18, 2005

snippets of a random conversation take 5


me: ice.**

mom: mummer!!!! [no, that's not a typo.]

me: you busy?

mom: nope, just got off my last conference call for the day.

me: are you sitting down?

mom: yes, i am.

me: okay. i'ma tell you something, but don't freak out okay?

mom: are you okay?

me: yeah, i'm fine.

mom: (affirmatively) you got a job.

me: i hate you. yes, i got a job. i like how after knowing i'm ok you assumed that that would be the news.

mom: well, i know you're not pregnant. unless it was jesus again.

[...]

me: and i had to pass a drug test, too.

mom: good for you. because, you know, some people in our family ain't able.

[...]

mom: when do you start?

me: orientation is monday.

mom: ...i knowed there was a god.**

me: you get on my nerves.

mom: i feel like i growed ten feet just from listening to you.**

me: you are such an asshole.

mom: well, i been having like the worst day ever, so i was looking for material.

[...]

me: i think me and saf are gonna drive home the last weekend of this month.

mom: ok. well, lemme look at my calendar, see if me and nala got something to do. we might not be home.

me: well, crayola me in if you're not busy.

**along with pam (not her real name), ma, mommy, and boss lady, my mother is currently known as "ice" by one of her children. yeah, short for in case of emergency.

**the color purple swipe.

**their eyes were watching god swipe. (phoeby to janey at the end of the novel.)


language alone protects us from the scariness of things with no names. language alone is meditation. ~toni morrison

10 Comments:

Blogger Jdid said...

so should we say congrats on the job or will you throw things?

18/10/05 22:17  
Blogger summer of sam said...

@a: my mom is, like, way funnier than i could ever imagine being.

@jdid: i don't throw things. but i will say this: i got a job at puma. this, quite frankly, scares me. i imagine myself eventually standing in the store looking like chris rock as pookie in new jack city.

the discount is bananas, though. like, the best discount i've ever heard. we'll see. i've of course never worked retail.

18/10/05 22:27  
Blogger Harold Gibson said...

Oh my goodness, no wonder you so cheap your ass is broke. You workin' retail, oh what fun encounters we will see.

Now since you got that job can we talk about my raise?

19/10/05 00:30  
Blogger Phoenix said...

1) super congratulations summer. i'm glad to know you're out there in the working world.

2) pumas are my favorite sneaks ever. (read: can we negotiate a plan of strategic homie hookups?)

(smile.)

l'

19/10/05 07:34  
Blogger nahmix said...

congrats on the job...i think i can say without issue: told you so!

19/10/05 14:50  
Blogger deshi said...

fyi to all the peeps getting excited over summer's discounts... umm... chicago headz get first dibs right summy? :D
congrats! i'm so happy for ya. but like i said... get some rest... those 9 hours a week might just do you in!
;)

19/10/05 16:52  
Blogger AC said...

this post made me very happy...i don't know why...

it just did...

19/10/05 22:11  
Blogger chase said...

congrats on the jobbie/ looking forward to some work blogs now, lol

20/10/05 00:34  
Blogger summer of sam said...

@nahmix: you did tell me so.

@deshi: i got you, dog.

@hollambeeee: i'm glad.

@chase: my ass will not be getting dooced.

20/10/05 11:02  
Blogger summer of sam said...

@rrrrachel: you're next week, homie. i might have to use my artistic license, though. either way, you'll be a star.

20/10/05 17:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home